Pages

Sunday 25 June 2017

My Plans for the Future! -Marnie Harrington

My Plans for the Future!


(There's a video about this topic down below after you've read this post, or you could skip to it straight away!)

 I've had many plans over the years growing up... Various different career options have floated in and out of my favor at different times in my life. The first
one I remember wanting to be was a teacher, I had lots of games and fantasies about that one for a few years! Then psychologist was a big one; we did lots of learning about psychology in our homeschool for ages and to this day I'm still fairly fascinated about it all!

Then I decided I would be a famous trombonist! This was a passion of mine for a long time, and I was lucky enough to have lots of encouraging and inspiring people around me at that time.

A few friends and I had a paper run a couple of years ago. That was a really fun time of my life, and the pay was decent too! They had a great van which was really useful for all the papers and about 4 of their kids were right into it! We each got an equal share of the money which was about $15 - $23 per week each and we had lots of fun and exercise! I looked forward to it every week and I became really close friends with that family!

I went back to wanting to be a teacher and so, I volunteered every week running a few private lessons in the Salvation Army's “Just Brass” program for about a year and a bit. I was assisting in schools, teaching kids a range of instruments. It was fun and exciting, and I learned heaps! I learned a bit more about the other instruments in the brass family and got to take home a shiny cornet once to learn how to play valved instruments! I tuned up my treble clef a little more (no pun intended), learned about how scores fit together, a bit of music theory and some really good and effective ideas and methods about teaching kids. Now that was fun and interesting!

After I stopped teaching, I started volunteering in an op shop! I really like it there! The people are nice, keeps be busy and I'm learning so much! I've learned how to merchandise, work a register, be part of a team etc. It's all been very valuable experience that I want to use in my next paying job. I'm planning to apply for some retail stores this year and hopefully land a paying job. Sometimes it's a drag working at the op shop being on my feet all day but it's a nice place. Right now I fancy getting into retail and perhaps working my way up the career ladder into a high paid position in Cotton On. They're based in Geelong and I thought that I'd have a good chance at that. I also want to start a clothing brand one day perhaps. My other idea is to be a musical producer/artist and just make and mix music! I'd like to learn how to interact with music making and sound engineering software to have the ability to create anything. That's my biggest passion I reckon.

I'm also on the lookout for any music, movie making or editing courses or workshops. Yeah so I've certainly got my ideas for the future!

The only reason I've had these awesome opportunities like the paper run, teaching music and op shop volunteer work is because I homeschool, which leaves me more freedom and flexibility with my time. These are experiences I'd never get if I was at school every day. These memories and experiences will be a part of me forever.

What are your plans for the future? What opportunities has homeschooling allowed you?

Thank you for reading!! Please consider supporting me by liking the Facebook page, commenting on posts and donating by clicking the donate button! Thanks!

Spread out Your Opinions

No comments:

Post a Comment